Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Changing Public Industry #4

4.  Your opinion- supported with reasons to support your stand on: ‘E-readers will be the death of print media’ at least 300 words. This requires both sides of the argument to be presented. Additional to the 4 sources, at least a news article should be one of your sources
 Personally, I have had lots of experience with both, e-books and print media. I believe that the way our world is developing, we are leaning vastly towards a technological point of view in which we depend a lot on technology. Over just very few years, technology has developed a lot. Nevertheless there are still many people who are using print media.

Books provide us with a tangible method in which to read and use out imagination to find the practical emotions we feel while reading (joy, sorrow, fear). The printed word usually gives a sense of authoritarian word. They can also at times be said to be easier to access than e-books as they do not require any device in order to use them. Some people claim that “I love flipping to the best pages of a book over and over again. I can’t really do that with e-books. I think both should be used in our generation. Not everyone can afford technology anyways. Books will always be a classic and will never die.” (http://www.debate.org/opinions/can-e-books-replace-paper-books). There are many people, as the person mentioned, who cannot afford technology, and e-books can not be given out to the needy children so that they can also read.

The downside is that once these books pile up, it is not very easy to keep them organized. A lot of your time will be spent while storing, organizing, and giving away many of these books. E-books on the other hand are very easy to organize. Some e-books that have a common format (.pdf) can be viewed on many devices such as a phone, laptop and tablet. E-books are also easier to find than physically looking for a book. Using e-books helps students carry a lighter load in school i.e. e-text books. It will also aid in the world ‘going green’ and save paper.

Both e-books and regular books have their advantages and disadvantages. I would prefer to have both co-existing, therefore I do not want to agree to the statement, but I believe that this will actually happen in the future because the children of the future will grow up mostly with typing things out rather than hand writing, so if they do not write on paper, why should they read on paper? This will mainly occur due to the technological advancements.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/opinions/119041309_Will_e-readers_eventually_replace_books__.html

http://www.debate.org/opinions/can-e-books-replace-paper-books

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/alan-titchmarsh/9847861/Alan-Titchmarsh-e-readers-will-never-replace-books-for-me.html

http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/other-gadgets/e-readers-making-books-obsolete.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment